CED grants $500,000 to the Société des amis du Moulin Michel for its project to reinvent its outdoor spaces.
BECANCOUR, QC, June 2, 2022 /CNW Telbec/ – Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
Shared public spaces such as historic buildings are at the heart of communities across Canada. They attract residents and visitors, supporting local businesses and jobs. In so many places across the country, these spaces have seen significant fluctuation in use due to COVID-19.
Today, the Honorable Pascale St-Onge, Minister of Sports and Minister responsible for CED, announced a non-repayable contribution of $500$000 to the Société des amis du Moulin Michel as part of the Canadian Community Revitalization Fund (CRFC) to expand the Moulin Michel’s outdoor performance space and improve its grounds.
A non-profit association founded in 1985, the Société des amis du Moulin Michel is the driving force behind Moulin Michel Nicely historic building, which it operates, administers and promotes. This former seigniorial mill now offers a historical interpretation site, a country restaurant, a show and reception area and a shop selling local food products. It offers a full range of activities and a natural outdoor site accessible to the public.
The government of Canada recognizes that community spaces promote social interaction and physical activity. By providing better access to recreational programs and facilities, we contribute to the well-being of communities, families and individuals across the country. Our economic recovery is closely linked to the vitality of our local communities and their shared spaces.
“Quebec is full of such quirky historical attractions. With its breathtaking and varied offer, the Moulin Michel has long charmed the community of Bécancour and its visitors. This tourist attraction occupies an important place in the economy of the entire region. Our support for the Société des amis du Moulin Michel project demonstrates our commitment to stimulating the economic development of communities of all sizes. Congratulations to the whole team for this exciting project!”
The Honorable Pascale St–Onge, MNA for Brome–Missisquoi, Minister of Sports and Minister responsible for CED
“The involvement of our dynamic community in saving and bringing the Moulin Michel site to life illustrates the very essence of our organization. We intervened and the site was restored in 1985; since then, enthusiastic citizens and a passionate team have succeeded to transform the Moulin Michel into such a rich site for the community, the region and the many visitors who discover it each year. With its reinvented outdoor spaces which highlight the rich historical and natural heritage of the site and offer increased possibilities cultural, community and sports activities, we contribute to the well-being of the whole community by combining our efforts in favor of social and economic development.”
Philippe Dumas, Managing Director, Society of Friends of Moulin Michel
- The CCRF was launched in June 2021. A total of $500 million was granted over two years to from Canada regional development agencies (RDAs), including $107 million for CED to invest in shared and inclusive public spaces Quebec. As public health restrictions ease, the government of Canada remains committed to investing in shared spaces to make them safer, greener and more accessible. This will stimulate local economies, create jobs and improve the quality of life for Canadians. This funding helps communities:
- adapt community spaces and assets so that they can be used safely in accordance with local public health guidelines, and
- build or improve community spaces to encourage Canadians to re-engage and explore their communities and regions.
- The CRFC is deployed as part of CED’s Quebec Economic Development Program (PDEQ).
- CED is a key federal partner in of Quebec regional economic development. With its 12 business offices, CED is there to support Quebec companies, support organizations and territories in the economy of tomorrow.
Stay logged in
Follow DEC on social networks
Consult the news of CED
SOURCE Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
For further information: Media Relations, Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions, [email protected]; Ariane Joazard-Bélizaire, Press Attaché, Office of the Minister of Sports and Minister Responsible for Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions, [email protected]